In the growing global packaging market, increased demand has led to increased innovation in recent years. With a projected growth of $44 billion in the next four years, much of which will occur in developing regions, WhatTheyThink maps out the five biggest trends in packaging given concerns regarding transportation, cost-efficiency, environmental impact, and increased competition.
- Migration barriers to ensure the surface of food packaging does not come into harmful contact with edible goods.
- Decreasing the amount of packing materials used in order to reduce cost and environmental impact—a win-win!
- Singe-serve packs to account for single person households and enhance the experience of the individual consumer.
- Advanced printing techniques like digital packaging, the usage of QR codes, holographic images, and even 3D technology in order to differentiate products in more competitive markets.
- Smart packaging that uses sophisticated techniques to communicate with the consumer and uphold increased legislation and control within the industry.