Mintel has announced the six key packaging trends expected to impact the global market in 2016.
The trends are:
- Digital Packaging. Mintel expects brands to use digital packaging printing for more than just limited editions and personalized packaging.
- Transparency. According to Mintel, consumers want more useful information and less clutter on product packages. This applies in particular to the food category where consumers want clear information about ingredients, nutrition, product functions and safety.
- Flexibles. Mintel says that brands will continue to create innovative flexible packaging with functional and eco-friendly properties.
- Re-usable, Re-purposable Packaging. According to Mintel, 63 percent of U.S. consumers have said that re-usable and re-purposable packaging is a main purchasing driver.
- Size. American families seek larger, value-sized milk containers, while British consumers want more size options for alcoholic beverages. Brands need to deliver packages that deliver on size-related consumer needs.
- Mobile-engagement. More and more brands are using NFC and Bluetooth low-energy as engagement technologies in packaging. Mintel expects mobile-engagement will play a major new role in brand loyalty.
David Luttenberger, Global Packaging Director at Mintel and Chief Packaging Officer contributor, said, “Brands and manufacturers are innovating packaging to keep global consumers, not only engaged, but to develop brand loyalty which is becoming more and more intangible in this modern age where consumers have more choices than ever before across all packaged goods.”