Reader, please note: We’re offering the following research results for your information and convenience. There is no implied endorsement of the researcher, the material or its accuracy/validity, nor is this a solicitation to purchase additional information or membership in any organization.

Avery Dennison has sponsored an experiment to gain insight about the impact of packaging and labeling on craft beer sales. Package InSight, a Clemson University start-up, conducted the two-day study in a simulated store at the school’s CUshop Consumer Experience Laboratory.

Avery Dennison created a beer brand called Steel Monkey IPA and labeled bottles using six different pressure-sensitive materials: paper, metallic, wood veneer, white gloss film, matte film and clear printed film.

The study’s 193 participants wore glasses that tracked and recorded their eye movements as they viewed the beer bottles. The shelves included the Steel Monkey bottles and nine other craft beer brands, all in 22-ounce bottles.

At first, the glossy film and wood veneer labels caught the consumers’ attention, but the participants spent more time looking at the bottles with clear printed film. The study found that the time spent looking at a product correlated with the likelihood of purchase. The findings seemed to support that packaging and labeling are important factors for craft beer sales.

Of the nearly 200 participants, 62 percent reported that the Steel Monkey metallic label caught their attention. That left a remaining 38 percent for the paper, matte film, glossy film, wood veneer and clear film labels combined.

h/t: http://www.packageprinting.com/article/labels-drive-sales-craft-beer-market/
http://www.packagingdigest.com/labels/label-materials-influence-craft-beer-buying-decisions1509

esko ad
(Visited 9 times, 3 visits today)

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *